5/5/09

Que tienes un gran Cinco de Mayo!

As American readers probably know, today is May 5th, also known in California and other Southern States as Cinco de Mayo...

For a few years now I've been celebrating this day eating fajitas and drinking tequila, just like every non-Irish person celebrates St Patrick's day drinking gallons of beer. And although I've wondered what we were celebrating exactly, I've never really bothered to ask or search. Until today.

I realized, much to my dismay, that Cinco de Mayo celebrated a battle. Not just any battle. The battle of Puebla, on May 5th 1862, when the Mexicans defeated the French... :( Suddenly I've lost my thirst for tequila...

However, although we've lost this battle, we won the war, and France occupied Mexico for a few years (why weren't we ever taught that at school? it's awesome!), until Abe decided he wouldn't mind his own business and kicked us out of USLaborLand . So I choose to keep on celebrating Cinco de Mayo, except unlike Mexicans, I'll celebrate the French occupation of Mexico!

For more exciting info on Cinco de Mayo, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment